Addressing Europe's Unfinished Business 2018
Tools for Changemakers
- Click here and read the report on AEUB 2018
- Discover more photos of AEUB 2018
- Watch the video
- Download the detailled programme
Europe continues to experience polarization within and between communities. These communities need to take responsibility for their actions and promote hopeful initiatives. The Initiatives of Change (IofC) model of change, starting with oneself, can play a significant role in rebuilding agency and hope at the individual and collective level.
What simple steps can we take to make a meaningful difference in Europe?
Addressing Europe’s Unfinished Business 2018 will explore different approaches to building social cohesion with examples of IofC projects and initiatives, inspiring speakers and multiple opportunities to share ideas and practices. For the fourth consecutive year, the Young Ambassadors Programme for people aged 18-25 will equip a new generation of changemakers rising to meet the challenges we face in Europe.
This event is for:
- groups and individuals in Europe aiming to strengthen their social cohesion practices
- grassroots leaders and organizations in need of support and partnerships in their social cohesion activities
- representatives of local, national and international NGOs and development agencies
- people involved in IofC programmes across Europe
- students and young potential changemakers
Rt Hon Lord Ashdown of Norton-sub-Hamdon GCMG, KBE PC (United Kingdom) - Politician, Diplomat, Author
Jo Berry (United Kingdom) - Founder of Building Bridges for Peace
Nick Foster (United Kingdom) - Caux Forum Director
Barbara Hintermann (Switzerland) - Secretary General, Initiatives of Change Switzerland
Oleksiy Matsuka (Ukraine) - Journalist
Tatjana Perić (Bosnia and Herzegovina/Serbia) - Adviser on Combating Racism and Xenophobia, Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
Christoph Spreng (Switzerland) - Vice-President, Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe
Andrew Stallybrass (United Kingdom/Switzerland) - Caux Historian
Peter Sundin (Sweden) - Caseworker/Lecturer, Crime Prevention Centre im Värmland
Dr. Emel Topçu (Turkey) - Associate Professor, Department of Political Sciences, Hasan Kalyoncu University Gaziantep
Simona Toroțcoi (Romania) - Roma Activist
Key Listener 2018
Mike Brown (Australia) - Writer, Activist and Organizer with IofC
Oana Dinea (Romania) - Pianist
Liliana Neciu (Romania) - Mezzo-soprano
Grassroots initiatives presented in the morning plenary on July 25th
- Healing the Past through Dialogue of Generations (Oleh Ovcharenko, Ukraine)
- Alive Peace: holistic approaches in peacebuilding (Tissione Parmar, UK | Agata Stajer, Poland)
- Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (Rob Corcoran, USA | Ebony Walden, USA)
- St Ethelburga’s Centre: heart-centred approaches to humanitarian work (Jo Winsloe Slater, UK | Bruna Kadletz, Brazil/UK)
- Geloven in Groen / Believing in Green – building trust and making faith communities in the Hague more sustainable (Laura Reijnders, The Netherlands)
- International platform of visual theatre (Txema Perez, Spain/UK | Lana Biba, Ukraine/UK)
- Learning to transform lives: Migrants and Refugees as Re-builders (Catalina Quiroz, UK/Peru)
- Refugees as Re-builders (Peter Riddell, UK)
- Creators of Peace (Miranda Shaw, UK)
- From Polarization to Participation: The INGO Dialogue Toolkit (Cristoph Spreng, Switzerland)
- Australians telling a new story – community building forums (Jean Brown, Australia | Mike Brown, Australia)
- Turkish-Armenian diaspora dialogue in The Netherlands (Tayfun Balcik, The Netherlands)
- KALMIRE Kalyoncu migration research centre (Emel Topcu, Turkey)
- Building Bridges for Peace (Jo Berry, UK)
- SiMigration – Understanding European migration policy and its impact (Erzjo Lajos, Germany)
- Crime Prevention Centre, Värmland (Peter Sundin, Sweden)
- Learning to be a Peace-Maker (Javed Latif, The Netherlands)
- Donetsk Institute of Information (Oleksiy Matsuka, Ukraine)
- DEEP France (Célia Demoor, France)
- Prevention has no Colour 2.0 (Cristina Bignardi, Italy)
The Young Ambassadors Programme (YAP) went online for the first time this summer, after six years of continuous growth and development and a pause in 2020 for reflection and adjustment to the new real...
A bi-monthly drop-in book club to resource you and fellow change-makers. Dive or dip into important and inspiring resources and ideas, connect with kindred spirits and explore your inner wisdom. ...
Listening is a powerful tool that can have powerful effects on its recipient. It is also a difficult one to master. On 5 November 2020, Initiatives of Change Switzerland led an online workshop on the ...
Mohammed Abu-Nimer is Professor at the American University’s School of International Service in International Peace and Conflict Resolution in Washington DC and a Senior Advisor to the International D...
"I am really thankful to the person who introduced me to the Initiatives for Change programme "Learning to be a Peacemaker". It was life-changing in so many ways. It opened my eyes to things we know i...
Can you truly listen? What if we all had the power to make our communities more cohesive and inclusive by starting to deeply listen to each other? The Tools for Changemakers conference was a three-day...
‘[Borders] are actually quite fragile – they are only built on the idea that we cannot connect to ourselves and to others’
In 2018, Sezan Eyrich spent a semester in Warsaw, studying political science and searching for a comfortable way to discuss political issues. When a friend recommended the Tool for Change Young Ambass...
This year’s Young Ambassadors Programme (YAP) brought 39 young people from across Europe to Caux for four intensive days of training in how to work for change in their communities. They then took part...
The Armenian-Kurdish-Turkish Dialogue 2019 took place during the Tools for Changemakers conference, bringing together people of Armenian, Kurdish and Turkish backgrounds to explore sensitive issues th...
How can the alienation felt by so many young Muslims be healed? Imam Ajmal Masroor believes that the alienation stems largely from the inner conflict generated by feeling caught between two value-syst...
After fighting against the German occupation of his country, Norway, Jens Wilhelmsen worked with Initiatives of Change (IofC) in Germany and Japan. In over 70 years of fulltime work for IofC on three ...
Marc Isserles’s poignant one-man show, We Must Save the Children, comes to life when you discover that his grandparents sought shelter at the Caux Palace in 1945 as Jewish refugees. The play took plac...
The first edition of the ‘Tools for Changemakers’ conference took place from 14-18 July 2019 at the Caux Forum. It was based on the conclusions from the conference ‘Addressing Europe’s Unfinished Busi...
Highlights of Addressing Europe's Unfinished Business 2018 in video...
Building the Next Generation of Trustbuilders in Europe...